Sunday, August 21, 2011

Always Come Prepared!

Emmett was 5 weeks this Friday.  He now weighs over 10 lbs!  I didn't realize how much he'd grown until we got our newborn photos back from our photographer.  The photos are wonderful and he looks SO tiny!! He is still so small, but when I look back at photos I am amazed at how much he has grown in such a short time.With each week that passes, he not only grows physically but also develops  more personality and becomes more and more animated.  He is an amazingly sweet little guy but he is also stubborn and very talkative (two traits that are not surprising if you know his parents!)  He now coos and talks to us when he is feeling playful and lets us know when he is not happy with a situation.  He is also beginning to live up to the male stereotype of being a messy little boy when he eats! Seriously, I look away for a second and he somehow manages to drool milk into his eye, ear and all down his body.  

This week, we had a lot of adventures!  Emmett and I started a "Mommy and Me" group to try to get to know some of the other Mom's and babies in the area.  Our friends Canyon, and her baby Finn joined us.  It wasn't exactly what I expected but I am going to give it a month and hope that it becomes something that we can do together each week and enjoy.  We also had an experience that I have been dreading- a hungry baby meltdown in public that only milk can solve at a time that I was without a bottle or my "hooter hider".  Todd and I had headed out with Emmett for a walk to the store but spontaneously decided instead to just stop and have dinner at a neighborhood restaurant.  As soon as we settled in and ordered our food, the crying began.  For the most part, Emmett only cries for three reason- a dirty diaper, fatigue and FOOD. He had just napped before we left and Todd changed his diaper in the rest room at the restaurant which left only one reason for the crying- hunger.  Instead of leaving the restaurant without eating, I made the decision to nurse him in public.  So I proceeded to tie a swaddle blanket around my neck and nurse my baby in the middle of a crowded restaurant.  For a lot of mothers this is not a huge deal, but this was something I have been strategizing and maneuvering to avoid for the last 5 weeks.  Even though nursing is completely natural, doing it in public is just not something I am completely comfortable with, and will do everything in my power to avoid in the future!

Beyond that, we also went to Emmett's (and Todd and Heather's) first professional soccer game with Todd's company.  It was Daddy's first chance to show his son off to his coworkers.  Emmett also got to attend his first "ladies" party- a "Sip and See" for our friends Allison and Bill's twin girls.  I have to say, our little guy seemed to really enjoy being the only male in a room filled with ladies!

Here are the photos from our photographer, I will post a link to rest when we get them in a week or so:





Emmett was quite happy between the twins! All three of them just kicked their legs and arms excitedly!


The girls eventually both moved in closer and ended up with all three of their little heads touching!  How cute is that?!

Daddy and Emmett at the Timbers (MLS) game.  Emmett wasn't exactly thrilled about his protective earphones, but it was SO loud!


No comments:

Post a Comment